Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Pop Media movies and music

Pop Media - I will be looking at popular movies and music from the 1950’s to the present. I will be looking at the differences and similarities in music and movies to show how women have been represented and if there has been change in women’s representation throughout the years.

I chose movies and songs based on popularity and representation given to women. All songs chosen were number one hits on the billboard chart. Songs I am considering are:

50’s and 60’s
Will you still love me tomorrow –The Shirelles
Stuck on you –Elvis Presley
Pretty woman- Roy Orbison
These boots are made for walking- Nancy Sinatra
Runaround sue-Dion
respect- Aretha Franklin

70’s and 80’s
Venus- Shocking Blue
American woman- the guess who
lets get it on – Marvin Gaye
I will survive- Gloria Gaynor
At seventeen – Janis Ian
When Will I Be Loved- by Linda Ronstadt
Like a virgin- Madona

90’s and 200’s
Hit me baby one more time- Britney Spears
Independent women- Destiny’s child
Promiscuous girl- Nelly Furtado
Genie in a bottle- Christina Aguilera
Always on time- Ja Rule and Ashanti
Unpretty- TLC
Baby got back – sir mix a lot
Gold digger- Kanye West

Movies:

50’s and 60’s
Sleeping beauty(1959)

70’s and 80’s
Pretty in Pink (1986)

90’s and 2000’s
Pretty woman (1990)
Mean girls(2004)

- Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment